Friday, September 17, 2010

Started Running Monday

So I started running Monday September 13, 2010. I finally came to a place in my life where I just could not take being overweight anymore. I have tried gym memberships and DVDs and nothing seems to be sticking with me. I can't seem to get in the habit of anything. I always make excuses. Well I knew I needed something that could entertain me in a way the other things could not. I needed a challenge. I tangible goal.  By tangible I mean something on paper. This running program I joined is a 9 week plan laid out 3 days a week for 9 weeks. How is this different from the gym memberships and DVDs? With the 9 week program you should be running a 5k which is 3 miles at the end of the 9 weeks. It works you up to this day by day, week after week. So I charted it out in a binder so it is on paper and I look at it everyday before I run. I also created a blank grid of the days so that I can journal after he run. The journal has 3 entries now.


Monday: Well this is harder then I thought but a little more intriguing then I thought as well. I was thinking after my second interval of jogging that there was no way I was going to be able to do this. After about halfway it was not as bad as I thought.


Wednesday: Decided to listen to some music this day because I found an application for Android phone that times the intervals and pauses your music and dings for the start and finish of your alternating jog and walk sessions. This made the time go by so much faster vs. looking at my watch over and over again.


Friday: Felt worn down at the end of the week and thought (man next week will get harder and this is tough enough) but soon told myself I can do this I am not going to let thoughts like that take over. I began talking out loud and telling myself all the reasons I was doing this. Wow who knew that I could counsel myself. Gave myself advise then whined in return then encouraged myself and then gave excuses and then called myself out. (Who needs a therapist? LOL)


I look forward to next week but dread it at the same time. I look forward more then dread.


If your interested in the program it is called Couch-to-5k and you can look it up on line or check it out on Facebook. Click Here Couch-to-5k. 


I may start running next week at Forest City Park at the track if anyone wants to join me. Bring some water and a way to time your intervals. If you have an iPhone or Android type phone there are apps you can download and I can show you how to do that as well.


Be blessed and happy running!

2 comments:

  1. Talking to yourself while running sounds crazy, but it is actually a good thing. A general rule of thumb is that you should be able to carry on a conversation while running. And if you can't, then you should probably slow down. When I first started running, it was more of a power walk. Just remember that speed comes with time and more miles on your legs.

    Keep up the good work. The Couch to 5k program changed my life. If you follow it closely, it will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips and the encouragement. I can't wait til I can keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete